RE: 2008 UN Year of Languages. 2008-02-28 International Mother Language Day

From: Don Osborn (dzo@bisharat.net)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2008 - 23:36:18 CST

    FYI, I've been compiling some links and info on a temporary web location at http://donosborn.org/iyl/ (including a pretty fair collection of links to the main UNESCO pages on the Year, which are sometimes hard to find). Although I really don't have time to take on another project, I do see the Year as providing a unique opportunity to, in effect, improve the environment for language-related work. UNESCO itself can't do it all (which they realize), and one of the immediate needs is better information / publicity.

    I also think that it would be ideal for the Year to produce not just some events and publicity, but also some structural outcomes to facilitate carrying forth the goals of the year and supporting various existing and new language-related efforts. This could mean a lot of things and I'm not sure how it will play out, but am in contact with various people about some initiatives. If anyone is interested, please let me know (I've started some things that I feel are important, but will not have time to keep running by myself).

    BTW, the UNESCO site has a page to submit project information - not for funding, just for information - and a list of those already submitted. Perhaps some character encoding projects or Decode Unicode could be listed there (even though their scope goes beyond the year itself).

    Don Osborn
    Bisharat.net
    PanAfriL10n.org