Re: A currency sign for the Rubel?

From: André Szabolcs Szelp (a.sz.szelp@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2008 - 02:39:04 CST

    Depends.

    > That's not the way it works. GOST does not own the Ruble sign. The users
    do.

    No, not GOST, but the National Bank of Russia. :-)... kindof:

    As I understand, national character encoding standards and actual usage in
    print or manuscript to be edited are reasons for encoding.

    By user initiative you have to demonstrate some actual usage in print. Due
    to the note by Adam T. that the final design has not yet been chosen by the
    national bank, no widespread printed actual usage will be found. Even if
    you'd do, you'd run into the danger, that an other design is selected
    finally. It would be unfortunate, if the Unicode Ruble currency sign
    differed from the one on the ruble notes... would be pretty confusing.

    Just my two cents.

    On 26/03/2008, Michael Everson <everson@evertype.com> wrote:

    > At 19:38 +0100 2008-03-26, André Szabolcs Szelp wrote:
    >
    > >IMHO that's something the Russian members of ISO should initiate, if
    > anyone.
    >

    > That's not the way it works. GOST does not own the Ruble sign. The users
    > do.
    >
    > --

    Szelp, André Szabolcs
    +43 (650) 79 22 400