Re: A currency sign for the Rubel?

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2008 - 02:48:13 CST

    At 09:39 +0100 2008-03-27, André Szabolcs Szelp wrote:
    >Depends.
    >
    >> That's not the way it works. GOST does not own the Ruble sign. The users do.
    >
    >No, not GOST, but the National Bank of Russia. :-)... kindof:
    >
    >As I understand, national character encoding
    >standards and actual usage in print or
    >manuscript to be edited are reasons for encoding.

    No, not just national standards. And it is clear
    that ordinary users are using a RUBLE SIGN now.

    >By user initiative you have to demonstrate some
    >actual usage in print. Due to the note by Adam
    >T. that the final design has not yet been chosen
    >by the national bank, no widespread printed
    >actual usage will be found.

    There is quite a lot on the internet already.

    http://www.artlebedev.com/news/2007/dayone/ does not have a Latin R.

    BUt it's listed here as well:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_ruble#Currency_Sign
    (I like the 19th-century one)

    http://www.artlebedev.ru/news/2007/rouble/ shows it

    http://www.paratype.ru/cinfo/news.asp?NewsId=78 at Paratype

    http://www.euromedia.ru/company/blogs/news/ble.html
    used as a graphic since 2007-08-01

    An article from Izvestija discussing the contest
    http://www.izvestia.ru/economic/article3093104/
    2006-05-24.

    In commercial use we can see it at http://www.66auto.ru/

    >Even if you'd do, you'd run into the danger,
    >that an other design is selected finally. It
    >would be unfortunate, if the Unicode Ruble
    >currency sign differed from the one on the ruble
    >notes... would be pretty confusing.

    Not so bad. Glyphs are informative.

    It would be useful to have a contact in the Central Bank, of course.