Re: Encoding Stability: are exceptions possible?

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@roadrunner.com)
Date: Sun Mar 30 2008 - 16:37:30 CST

    Kenneth Whistler <kenw at sybase dot com> wrote:

    >> PE WITH MIDDLE HOOK (U+04A6/7) is used only in Abkhaz:
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pe_with_middle_hook
    >>
    >> Is it possible (as an exception) to move historic PE WITH MIDDLE HOOK
    >> to another position and place PE WITH DESCENDER (which is used in
    >> modern language) to 04A6/7?
    >
    > No. Such moves are completely disallowed in the standard, for any
    > character.

    Since we all know it is not possible to move a character to a different
    code point, the first question that occurred to me was, what would be
    the perceived advantage in doing so? Since the requester knows that his
    request would be exceptional, he must assume there is a pretty good
    reason for the general rule against moving characters. What makes this
    character special?

    The second question was why the requester considers the Abkhaz language
    (or its Cyrillic orthography) "historic" and not a "modern language."
    Abkhaz is spoken by more than 100,000 people and the character Ҧ/ҧ is
    part of the current orthography.

    http://www.ewellic.org