Re: Contradiction in casing information in Unicode official sources.

From: Jim Allan (jallanite@rogers.com)
Date: Thu Apr 10 2008 - 21:29:35 CDT

    Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    > For Unicode 5.1, we have:
    >
    > 0197;LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH STROKE;Lu;...;;0268;
    > 0268;LATIN SMALL LETTER I WITH STROKE;Ll;...;0197;;0197
    > 026A;LATIN LETTER SMALL CAPITAL I;Ll;...;;;
    >
    > What that says is that U+0268 (*not* U+026A) has a Simple_Uppercase_Mapping
    > to U+0197.
    >
    > And those case mapping values have remained unchanged since Unicode 2.0,
    > when they were first made available in machine-readable form in
    > UnicodeData.txt.

    Thanks for this information.

    I had understood, years ago, from the text in the Unicode manual alone
    that U+026A was the lowercase of U+0197 and believed that the references
    to ISO 6438 were intended to indicate the source for this surprising
    case pairing. Nothing in the manual indicates that this is intended
    instead to reference an alternate case pairing. So I was somewhat
    surprised recently to discover that some current software supported the
    more obviously logical pairing.

    Thanks also to the others who responded to my point.

    Jim Allan