query regarding proposed additions to Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics

From: William J Poser (wjposer@ldc.upenn.edu)
Date: Mon May 05 2008 - 16:05:18 CDT

    In the proposal for the addition of characters to the
    Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics dated 2008-04-12
    (N3437, L2/08-149), several characters have names that inexplicably
    include "Carrier". These are:

    U+AAF5 Canadian Syllabics Carrier GU
    U+AAF8 Canadian Syllabics Carrier JAI
    U+AAFA Canadian Syllabics Carrier LAI

    None of these characters is or has been used for
    Carrier. Carrier writes /Cai/ as Ca-i. Moreover,
    the name "Canadian Syllabics Carrier GU" is already
    asigned to U+15EF. It looks like these three names reflect somebody's
    notes on the Carrier characters that they resemble.

    Note that I am only questioning the names. The characters
    themselves are, I believe, used for other languages and
    should be added. It is just the Carrier connection that
    is problematic.

    Bill Poser