Re: Exemplifying apostrophes

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Thu May 22 2008 - 18:57:20 CDT

    Michael Everson wrote:

    >> Which was a Victorian fad, not seen before or since in quality English
    >> typography.

    > Victorian? I never heard that before.

    Go look at British popular, i.e. mass-produced, books from the mid- to
    late-1800s. This is the only period I know of in which one sees
    widespread use of double spaces after full stops in the context of
    typeset text. Following the revival of interest in renaissance
    typographic models that arose out of the Kelmscott, Doves and other
    private presses of the late 1800s and early 1900s, and encouraged by the
    significant scholarship on typographic history from the 1920s onwards,
    this practice quickly disappeared.

    > When I learned typing in junior high school I remember they told us that
    > the two spaces where to help typesetters navigate a document from
    > typescript and know where sentence ends were.

    And after the 19th century, the first thing those typesetters would have
    done would have been to remove the extra spaces.

    I can see that, if one were preparing a typescript for manual or
    mechanical typesetting, double spaces might be helpful to the typsetter.
    But seriously, how many junior high school typing students would
    actually be expected to go on to prepare typescripts for typesetting?
    That's a fairly narrow professional field, and most typewritten
    documents were intended for reading as such -- business correspondence,
    memos, etc. --, not for typesetting.

    JH

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com