Re: Exemplifying apostrophes

From: Behnam (behnam.rassi@gmail.com)
Date: Fri May 23 2008 - 17:01:52 CDT

    On 23-May-08, at 3:07 AM, Michael Everson wrote:

    > At 08:34 +0200 2008-05-23, Andrea Cantinotti wrote:
    >> As a young french (and I think it's true for the "Microsoft Word
    >> generation"), I do not put a typografical space before ";".
    >> Because of the software (Word do it for you, and afterthat, you
    >> have'nt any habitude to type it). In my mails, there isn't any
    >> space before it.
    >> It is true for my generation, but the older generation type a
    >> space before ";" even in e-mails.
    >
    > Very interesting!

    I wonder why Unicode didn't put language identifier to the paragraph.
    This could facilitate localization of applications and fonts and
    resolve many similar cases of unwanted or wanted typesetting schemes.
    A French user, should type the space if wanted, and the localized
    features would adjust the amount of spacing with font face and French
    typesetting norms.
    Language identifier for a specific language in paragraph, if not
    supported by the application or the font, can easily be defaulted to
    the main script behaviour. No harm done. But if supported, can
    provide whatever the user intend to do.

    Behnam