Re: Markup for Language (was: Re: Exemplifying apostrophes)

From: Behnam (behnam.rassi@gmail.com)
Date: Wed May 28 2008 - 06:48:02 CDT

    On 28-May-08, at 1:59 AM, Khaled Hosny wrote:

    > AFAIK, Unicode has a language tagging mechanism
    > http://unicode.org/faq/languagetagging.html
    > Though the FAQ discourages its use in favour of markup, is this what
    > you are looking for?

    I'm not sure. I think so. Maybe that was Doug Ewell's suggestion
    which is discouraged as stateful.

    Right now, on my text editor, I right click and select the
    directionality of the paragraph. That's what I did on that picture at
    the end (which shouldn't be confused with right alignment). This
    doesn't go to the higher level and higher level shouldn't change that
    (which unfortunately is not always the case).
    I wished the same power over language identity (which theoretically
    shouldn't get lost in higher level).
    Kurdish text should remain Kurdish wherever it goes. It shouldn't be
    treated as Arabic or Persian. It should be treated as Kurdish
    otherwise the font features specifically dedicated to Kurdish won't
    be activated and it won't be displayed correctly. I suspect that
    there are other languages out there that are heavily dependent to
    this identification too.

    Behnam