Re: Last resort font

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2008 - 01:42:26 CDT

    Simon Montagu wrote:

    > This also might be a good time to note that the next version of
    > Firefox,
    > due to be released some time this month, falls back to displaying the
    > Unicode value in hexadecimal for codepoints not covered by any
    > available font.

    This presumably implies that if the Last Resort (or LastResort?) font
    has been installed, a glyph from it is displayed instead. And this is
    better for people with no idea of Unicode, as well as to some who have
    some idea. It might be worse for people who know Unicode: they will see
    just the generic glyph (which they might or might not recognize in its
    intended meaning, by intuition or by having learned it), not information
    about the specific code point.

    To get the best of both worlds, the user should actually see the generic
    glyph with the code number embedded into it (or available on mouseover,
    but that goes beyond font issues). There's actually "fine print" in the
    glyphs, and I expected it to contain such information, and I was
    disappointed at seeing that it, too, is just generic. But of course the
    font would become much bigger if it had a different glyph for every code
    position.

    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/