Re: Last resort font

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2008 - 18:25:44 CDT

    Le Jun 10, 2008 à 11:42 PM, Jukka K. Korpela a écrit :

    > This presumably implies that if the Last Resort (or LastResort?) font
    > has been installed, a glyph from it is displayed instead. And this is
    > better for people with no idea of Unicode, as well as to some who have
    > some idea. It might be worse for people who know Unicode: they will
    > see
    > just the generic glyph (which they might or might not recognize in its
    > intended meaning, by intuition or by having learned it), not
    > information
    > about the specific code point.

    The idea is that for most users, it is more useful to know that a
    particular character is, say, Telugu than to know that its code point
    is U+0C1A, since most people (even Unicode-savvy ones) wouldn't know
    off-hand that U+0C1A is a Telugu character. It tells the user that
    they need to install a Telugu font to see the text.

    If you *do* want to know specific code points -- which is often useful
    -- then install SIL's excellent BMP font. I have it installed myself
    and am glad to have both it and the Last Resort font around.

    =====
    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com