Re: Welsh orthography in Unicode

From: Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven (asmodai@in-nomine.org)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2008 - 00:26:26 CDT

    -On [20080627 02:40], Doug Ewell (dewell@roadrunner.com) wrote:
    >I sure wish I could get people to take up arms in support of the
    >"correct" hyphen and dash and minus-sign characters as strenuously as
    >they do in support of the "correct" apostrophes. In most proportional
    >fonts, the ASCII hyphen is very short and looks awful when used in
    >negative numbers or subtraction expressions.

    It's simple I think:

    <user type="average" name="joe">As long as my keyboard does not give me the
    appropriate characters I need, I will stick to the ones that are printed on
    my keys.</user>

    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for proper characters and such, but we're far,
    far from that goal, even with Unicode 5.1 released. Most fonts are still
    inadequate, most keyboards do not even present alternatives to basic ASCII
    characters, most operating systems and their applications have no easy ways
    to correct those characters into the more appropriate forms, when viewed on
    the computer the difference between the characters is also not always as
    clear as you'd expect it, so how can we even expect users to give a damn.

    It's all lovely to be sitting here virtually on the Unicode mailinglist, but
    what exactly is being done to make the average user aware of the
    possibilities he/she has for using the correct characters. How large a
    percentage of the people will even care, especially if the means to get
    there are cumbersome or not even in place.

    To illustrate an even more simplistic case: on a translation list I am on
    there are people who at times have to type their Japanese text in specific
    applications in order to copy-paste the resulting text in a browser or other
    program because their IME does for some reason not work with the browser or
    other program.

    I'll let you off the hook for using double spacing after a period Doug. :P

    イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
    I dream of Love as Time runs through my hand...