Re: Phaistos disk forgery?

From: William J Poser (wjposer@ldc.upenn.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2008 - 18:46:27 CDT

    >Possibly, but probably only if the author of this paper presents the
    >results of a thermoluminescence dating test on the disc.

    Sure. I have no axe to grind here or knowledge of what is in the
    forthcoming paper. My point is simply that a present consensus doesn't
    mean that much. Certain kinds of evidence could overturn a consensus
    that the disc is very plausibly a genuine antiquity. The evidence for
    genuineness consists of plausibility plus the context of the find,
    and the latter apparently depends entirely on the word of the
    discoverer, Pernier.

    Bill