Re: Capital Sharp S in the News

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Thu Jul 03 2008 - 17:17:10 CDT

    Gerrit Sangel wrote:

    > Am Donnerstag 03 Juli 2008 schrieben Sie:
    >

    >> One problem not addressed by just a new character code or just new
    >> uppercase rules is that the German keyboard has '?' in the shift
    >> position for the key that produces the sharp s. Unfortunately, that's
    >> not a rare symbol - way more frequently used than an uppercase sharp s.
    >> As a result, I fear, the inertia and/or resistance will impede a shift
    >> to a keyboard layout that implements the sharp s as a regular shift-pair.
    >>

    > The entire ß key does not have any space for the capital ß any more. The only
    > way (which would make sense) would be AltGr+S.
    >
    > But if the keyboard producers manage to put the capital ß on the keyboard, I
    > am really angry.

    Whatever the need is for a capital ß, there is no need for a key for
    it. It exists only for all-caps settings. Seems that the best plan
    would be to make the key that renders ß give the capital form when the
    caps-lock is active. That might be a problem; keyboard drivers might
    not be able to treat caps-lock differently from shift. But that's what
    makes the most sense. And if you're the kind of person who types in
    all-caps without using caps-lock, just holding down shift by hand...
    well, you can learn to make an exception if it's so important to you.

    ~mark