Re: [indic] Re: Proposal to add four characters for Kashmiri to the BMP of the UCS

From: Rahul Bhalerao (b.rahul.pm@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2008 - 06:08:48 CDT

    On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Andrew West <andrewcwest@gmail.com> wrote:
    > 2008/7/7 Pravin S <pravin.d.s@gmail.com>:
    >>
    >> Philippe has already explained all the points present in proposal
    >
    > That fills me with confidence!
    >
    >> As per Devanagari syllable rule Matra's can,t combine with vowel's,
    >
    > Is that really true? Is this stated in the Unicode Standard?

    Yes! Unicode standard clearly disallows formation of Independent Vowel
    characters as a combination of other Independent Vowel and Dependent
    Vowel Marks.

    >> In fact recent character added in Unicode 5.1 U+0972 'ॲ' was also came
    >> due to this reason only
    >> since अ [0905]+ ॅ [0945] combining was not possible due to script grammar.
    >> The same is not allowed in all Rendering Engine(ICU, PANGO and Uniscribe too).
    >
    > Well, it works perfectly OK on my Windows system using Uniscribe and
    > the Code2000 font -- see attached image.

    The screenshot attached, is either a bug in font or the layout engine,
    it is not giving the expected behavior (as in ICU, Pango etc.)
    according to Unicode standard.

    --
    Rahul.
    http://b.rahul.pm.googlepages.com/home