Re: [indic] Re: Proposal to add four characters for Kashmiri to the BMP of the UCS

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2008 - 04:08:57 CDT

    2008/7/7 Pravin S <pravin.d.s@gmail.com>:

    > Philippe has already explained all the points present in proposal

    That fills me with confidence!

    > As per Devanagari syllable rule Matra's can,t combine with vowel's,

    Is that really true? Is this stated in the Unicode Standard?

    > In fact recent character added in Unicode 5.1 U+0972 'ॲ' was also came
    > due to this reason only
    > since अ [0905]+ ॅ [0945] combining was not possible due to script grammar.
    > The same is not allowed in all Rendering Engine(ICU, PANGO and Uniscribe too).

    Well, it works perfectly OK on my Windows system using Uniscribe and
    the Code2000 font -- see attached image.

    >> Generally I think it is a good idea try to conserve as much space as
    >> possible in the Devanagari block on the BMP as, given the number of
    >> languages written in Devanagari, it seems likely that there will eventually
    >> be more characters that it would be best to have there. IMHO adding
    >> unnecessary pre-composed characters when a combination (base char +
    >> combining mark) will do is not the best use of valuable space.
    >
    > I agree we need reserved space, but IMO we should not violate script
    > grammar for preserving space.

    I agree entirely with Chris that on the surface at least there is no
    need to encode these two pre-composed letters. I would like to see
    more evidence than vague references to "script grammar" to convince me
    otherwise.

    Andrew

    DevanagariTest.jpg