Fwd: Looking for code ranges on specific languages.

From: David Starner (prosfilaes@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 16 2008 - 14:57:01 CDT

    On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Jonathan Woodburn <jonathan@woodburn.cc> wrote:
    > First, let me preface this by saying I have looked at both the Character
    > Code Charts (http://www.unicode.org/charts/) and a number of other sites,
    > including alanwood (http://alanwood.net/unicode/index.html). I have not
    > found the answer I'm looking for there.
    >
    > I am creating a multilingual font for an internal project and am looking for
    > what range of characters each language requires. I have 13 languages total
    > and they are as follows:
    > • English
    > • Spanish
    > • Korean
    > • Norwegian
    > • German
    > • Simplified Chinese
    > • Traditional Chinese
    > • Greek
    > • Italian
    > • Swedish
    > • Russian
    > • Danish
    > • French

    First, why are you creating a new font for this internal projects that
    covers Chinese? That can't be economically feasible. A quick and dirty
    font for English is possible, but Chinese is a bit larger. What do you
    need this font to do? The very way the question is asked makes me
    wonder; if you're including Chinese, you shouldn't need to worry about
    individual Latin-using languages; just toss in MES-2
    (<http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/mes-2-rationale.html>), which
    will cover every major Latin/Greek/Cyrillic using language in the
    world, at the cost of a measly 1000 characters.