Re: Arabic swash letter Ya with dots

From: Khaled Hosny (khaledhosny@eglug.org)
Date: Fri Aug 01 2008 - 12:35:46 CDT

    On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 06:34:58PM +0200, Andreas Prilop wrote:
    > On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Khaled Hosny wrote:
    >
    > >> What's the Unicode way to write Arabic "swash letter ya"
    > >> U+06D2 - but with two dots below as U+064A ?
    > >> http://www.alquds.co.uk/alquds.gif
    > >
    > > This is a mere stylistic variant of U+064A, unlike U+06D2 that has
    > > different semantics in Urdu.
    > > So, this is a mutter of using proper font, possibly an OpenType
    > > (or AAT) font with the needed glyph substitution rules.
    >
    > But U+064A (with dots) and U+06CC are also "stylistic variants".
    > Yet they have two code positions in Unicode and are thus
    > regarded as two different characters.

    I tend to agree with you, there are several encoded characters in the
    Arabic block that are just glyph variants; ARSI YEH, KEHEH (farsi kaf),
    SWASH KAF, and may be others. But I think this either was influenced by
    pre Unicode encodings, or misinformation at time, any how it isn't an
    excuse to added yet another stylistic variant.

    Regards,
     Khaled

    --
     Khaled Hosny
     Arabic localizer and member of Arabeyes.org team