Re: open source CJK ext A, B fonts

From: Arne Goetje (arne@linux.org.tw)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2008 - 12:04:44 CDT

  • Next message: Eric Muller: "[Fwd: [incits-chairs] Reminder: ANSI Communications Notice: Standards that Make a Difference - Submissions Due by September 19, 2008]"

    Christoph Burgmer wrote:
    > Am Tuesday, 12. August 2008 schrieb Arne Goetje:
    >> The above mentioned project will hopefully include all the CJKV shapes
    >> as submitted by the IRG members in a distant future. Currently they
    >> include mostly HK, TW and JP shaped glyphs mixed together with some
    >> occasional CN glyphs in between. Work is underway to change that and
    >> provide all glyph shapes in separate virtual fonts.
    >
    > Does that mean technically they come as one font, but your rendering engine
    > needs to pick the right one?

    No, that way doesn't work reliably. The font is actually a TrueType
    Collection containing multiple font faces. You would need to pick the
    one you want by yourself, in your case probably the CN flavor. However,
    it won't be auto detected by the locale.

    > Either way. I'm happy to hear that someone is working on this. I use the fonts
    > distributed with Debian and ever so often stumble upon basic characters (<
    > 2000 from a learners perspective), that render Japanese, though my locale is
    > zh_CN.

    In Debian you might want to try the packages ttf-wqy-zenhei, which is a
    CN style Heiti font. The ttf-arphic-gbsn00lp and ttf-arphic-gkai00mp are
    Song and Kai style respectively covering GB2312 only. They might be
    enough for your purpose. The CJK-Unifonts fonts mentioned above are in
    the ttf-arphic-uming and ttf-arphic-ukai packages and are currently
    still mixed style. With the next release I'll have the remaining CN
    style glyphs from the gbsn00lp and gkai00mp fonts included.

    > Thanks both of you for your answers. Sorry, I'll put my time in algorithms
    > regarding CJK, so no time left for the fonts. :)

    no problem.

    Cheers
    Arne

    --