backward compability, with ansi-color sequences also?

From: Unknown (js_bach@freenet.de)
Date: Wed Aug 27 2008 - 21:49:12 CDT

    Hello list,

    I am trying to print utf-8 strings with colors in ansi-c with help of
    wchar.h and friends. I get any language(japanese, german etc), no
    problem but not in colored. The ansi color notation that i am used to,
    \033[0;34m
    \033[0;35m
    doesn't work with unicode( in wprintf). Now my question is,
    as the coding of colors in ansi consist of characters whose decimal
    value less than 255 and unicode backward-compatible is, why would my
    wprintf attempts fail?

    Thanks for any pointers,
    Umut