Re: Character list for European and Canadian use in the revised keyboard standard ISO/IEC 9995-3, supplementing MES-1

From: Karl Pentzlin (karl-pentzlin@acssoft.de)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2008 - 05:15:02 CDT

  • Next message: Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven: "Re: Character list for European and Canadian use in the revised keyboard standard ISO/IEC 9995-3, supplementing MES-1"

    Am Dienstag, 23. September 2008 um 11:39 schrieb André Szabolcs Szelp:

    ASS> Isn't IJ (as a single character) deprecated

    Not formally in Unicode.

    ASS> isn't the use of I + J recommended?

    According to former discussions on this list, yes, but the Unicode
    charts of 5.1 does not state this.

    ASS> Given that it's only a compatibility character, and it should not be
    ASS> used for newly input data, is it a good idea to have it on a keyboard?

    If something like ISO/IEC 9995-3 would be designed from scratch today,
    probably IJ would not be included as a single character.

    The existing ISO/IEC 9995-3, however, contains it, recurring to MES-1
    (i.e. ISO/IEC 10646 character collection 281).
    Several other ISO documents refer to ISO/IEC 9995-3, together with a
    mention that it implements MES-1.
    Thus, characters contained in MES-1 cannot be dropped from ISO/IEC 9995-3
    for compatibility reasons.

    This also applies for U+013F/U+0140/U+0149, which in the Unicode charts of
    5.1 are clearly marked as legacy characters, also stating the obvious
    alternate representations.

    Another point is that the application area is not confined to ISO/IEC
    10646 or Unicode environments; it also serves other encodings like ISO
    6937 where neither IJ nor L· nor 'n are discouraged as single characters.

    - Karl Pentzlin