Re: gamma as a phonetic symbol

From: Howard Gregory (keramoti@googlemail.com)
Date: Sun Sep 28 2008 - 09:30:04 CDT

    Could it just be that the normal Greek (printed) gamma is too easily
    mistaken for a "y"?

    Just to clarify a couple of points (I am no expert, but have lived in
    Greece): the IPA symbol seems to me a reasonable representation of a
    modern handwritten gamma; and also, this is indeed pronounced in
    modern Greek as a voiced velar fricative (except before front vowels).

    --
    H.A.O.Gregory
    Department of English Linguistics