Re: gamma as a phonetic symbol

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Sun Sep 28 2008 - 12:16:33 CDT

    Howard Gregory wrote:

    > Just to clarify a couple of points (I am no expert, but have lived in
    > Greece): the IPA symbol seems to me a reasonable representation of a
    > modern handwritten gamma

    Yes. The informal handwritten gamma tends to have an open loop
    descender, especially when written quickly and with a monolinear tool
    such as a ballpoint pen. In typefaces -- unless deliberately mimicking
    handwriting -- the descender of the Greek gamma is always a closed
    stroke reversal: this form follows the formal Byzantine bookhand as
    written with a broad-nib reed.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com