Re: Proposal to change the script allocation rules for the BMP and SMP

From: Doug Ewell (
Date: Thu Oct 30 2008 - 07:01:07 CST

    Karl Pentzlin <karl dash pentzlin at acssoft dot de> wrote:

    > A quick look e.g. to
    > leads to the impression that the existing 80 free code points
    > (according to PDAM7 as of Oct. 2008) in the Latin Extended D block
    > are not sufficient in the long term.

    While I haven't read the accompanying comments, it's clear that at least
    some of the characters shown on the Russian Wikipedia page, such as
    LATIN X WITH ACUTE and the various Cyrillic letters with breve or
    diaeresis, should be encoded as sequences with combining marks, not as
    new precomposed characters. The pre-existence of U+00C1 and U+0401 does
    not change this.

    Doug Ewell  *  Thornton, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14  ˆ