Re: Boustrophedon directionality in Szekler-Hungarian Rovas relics

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Fri Oct 31 2008 - 13:43:13 CST

    On 31 Oct 2008, at 19:05, Hosszu Gabor wrote:

    > The origin of the boustrophedon directionality was the writing onto
    > sticks
    > in the ancient times just similarly to the Rovas stick calendar.

    Yes, and boustrophedon on a three-dimensional object is not the same
    as boustrophedon text directionality, I am sure.

    Boustrophedon in Greek means a flat field for text where the first
    line goes one direction, the second goes the other, and so on repeating.

    The same cannot be said about a three-dimensional stick. It is not a
    field of text. It's got two (or more) sides and it's meant to be
    turned over in the hand. That is not ox-plowing.