Re: Question about the directionality of "Old Hungarian" (document N3531)

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Tue Nov 04 2008 - 12:58:07 CST

    Asmus Frytag wrote:

    >> contrasting a flipped letter e with one designed as a reversed form
    >> (for phonetic transcription in this case, but the same holds true for
    >> direction mirroring). The flipped form looks distorted because the
    >> ductus is reversed.

    > While we can all agree that the geometric mirroring of an outline is not
    > always applicable, your example is misleading as the "mirrored" glyph
    > here is for the *same* reading direction as the original glyph. That's
    > precisely not the case in bidi mirroring.

    As I wrote, the same holds true for direction mirroring, i.e. one wants
    glyphs that do not look distorted and which fit within the style and
    stroke contrast model of the typeface, regardless of direction. When a
    scribe changes direction, he doesn't switch hands or write with a
    reversed ductus.

    >> Such designed mirrored forms need to be accessed, which implies a GSUB
    >> feature in OT or similar mechanism in AAT or Graphite.

    > No argument here - I think that Kent's use of "font handling system" was
    > meant more generically than you construed it.

    Well, he specifically said

            This would be something handled by the font handling
            system (mirror the given glyph), NOT something that
            involves font features or GSUB at all.

    So that is what I was responding to.

    John Hudson

    --