Re: Bassa Script

From: Christopher Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Fri Nov 07 2008 - 04:11:24 CST

    The script apparently consists of twenty-three consonants, seven
    vowels, and five tones indicated by combining marks which occur
    inside vowels, as well as a few punctuation marks.

    Micheal Everson's draft chart
    <http://www.evertype.com/standards/iso10646/pdf/bassa.pdf>
    does not differentiate between consonants and vowels and shows the
    script as single case. <http://www.omniglot.com/writing/bassa.htm>
    and <http://www.uniboa.org/bassalanguage.html> shows the script as cased.

    This appears to be the only alphabetic African script.

    - Chris

    Links

    Bassa:
    <http://www.linguistics.berkeley.edu/sei/USR.html#n011>
    A brief summary of Liberian Indigenous scripts:
    <http://cefliberia.org/extras/IndigenousScripts.pdf>
    Written Bassa:
    <http://www.cefliberia.org/bassa.htm>
    United Bassa Organizations: The Bassa Language
    <http://www.uniboa.org/bassalanguage.html>
    Omniglot page:
    <http://www.omniglot.com/writing/bassa.htm>
    African Writing Systems: