Re: What to call it (was: Re: Boustrophedon (was: Re: Question...))

From: Andreas Stötzner (as@signographie.de)
Date: Fri Nov 07 2008 - 04:30:34 CST

    Am 07.11.2008 um 07:13 schrieb Hosszu Gabor:

    > Dear Colleagues,
    >
    > Michael Everson seems to discuss correctly, however, he tries to
    > degrade the
    > opposite side.

    He does NOT try to do so.

    > I wrote:
    >>> Referring to the sources in the WWW, there are many examples for the
    > use of "Rovas" in English.

    This fact is NOT the point here.

    > M. Everson stated:
    >> It's certainly the case that it appears on your own web pages. One has
    >> noticed that you have been recently making an effort to increase the
    >> number of such citations, for instance on the Wikipedia. This does
    >> not
    > mean that the
    >
    > Naturally in our home page we use our term (Szekler-Hungarian Rovas).
    > However, there are many unrelated web sites that uses the term "rovas"
    > or "rovás" for this script. E.g.:
    >
    > http://users.tpg.com.au/etr/rovas/hurov.html [rovas]
    > http://tudos.virtus.hu/?id=detailed_article&aid=50657 [rovas]
    > http://www.acronet.net/~magyar/english/96-10/fodor.htm [rovás]
    >
    > And so on. They have been used this term for a long time.
    >
    > Acording to the Wikipedia, Michael Everson is that person who uses
    > extensively the Wikipedia to enforce his own view onto the world. He
    > has made his own page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Everson
    > and carefully maintains it every day. There have been also 12
    > translations, the Hungarian version was created by his friend, Ádám
    > Joó.

    This does NOT belong to this discussion.

    > In fact Michael Everson tries to enforce his will to our user
    > community in the question of the naming.

    No, he does not. He presented arguments for a certain choice, as others
    did. You are free to present an opponent reasoning for why “Old
    Hungarian” might not be proper. We’ve not read this reasoning so far.
    It is, by the way, a most general fact that one thing can have
    different naming in different contexts.

    with regards,
    A:S

    Neu: Die Andron gibt es jetzt in Griechisch!
            http://www.signographie.de/cms/front_content.php?idart=282
    Rundbrief – Signographischer Anzeiger anmelden_anzeiger@signographie.de

    Andreas Stötzner Signographie
    Signographisches Institut Andreas Stötzner i.A. (Pegau/Sa.)
    as@signographie.de Tel. +49-34296-74849 Fax +49-34296-74815
    Willkommen auf www.signographie.de