Re: Why people still want to encode precomposed letters

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Sun Nov 16 2008 - 02:53:15 CST

    Asmus Freytag wrote:

    > If there's a need for an explanation as to the "why", here's a
    > generic one:

    The explanation does not refer to diacritic marks, precomposed marks, or
    actually any characters (except by the use of the word "Unicode").

    I think it is so generic that it could be presented in defence of any
    feature, real or imaginary, in Unicode. Actually, replacing the word
    "Unicode" by some other word X, it would be a defence of feature, real or
    imaginary, in X.

    I don't think it is useful to give too abstract explanations when people ask
    a specific question.

    Here's a short version of an explanation that actually explains something
    (though not much and perhaps not quite correctly):

    The Unicode approach to diacritic marks is to encode them as combining
    marks. Unicode contains a lot of precomposed characters for compatibility
    with older standards, but there is no comparable need for adding new
    precomposed characters.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/