RE: Why people still want to encode precomposed letters

From: philip chastney (philip_chastney@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Nov 23 2008 - 05:37:06 CST

    there would indeed be no end to it, but if the spec were restricted to known combinations found in natural languages with alphabetic orthographies, the list needn't be that long

    this list could encompass ligatures as well as characters with diacritical markings, and include ligatures with diacritical markings  --  maybe not three tied characters, though, unless it was clear that they were few in number  --  and probably not vowel shaping

    such a list would be an asset to font designers

    and it would help re-assure users of minority languages that their needs are known, and will (eventually) be met

    Unicode.org's website would be suitable repository

    apparently the list cannot be named "namedsequences.txt"  --  OK, how about "knowncombinationsfoundinnaturallanguageswithalphabeticorthographies.txt"?

    unless, of course, someone has a better suggestion   . . .   /phil