Re: Why people still want to encode precomposed letters

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Tue Nov 25 2008 - 12:25:12 CST

    Hans Aberg wrote:

    > I choose the Caledonia from 1967 as example because it is well before
    > any electronic typesetting. The latter may have changed things. For
    > example, traditional typesetting principles may simply have been skipped
    > over.

    1967 is not 'well before any electronic typesetting' (I believe that was
    the year that Linotype introduced the Linotron). In any case, it is not
    a period generally associated with 'traditional typesetting principles':
    for that you need to go back much further. All the feedback I've heard
    from my Scandinavian colleagues indicates that the ring should not merge
    with the top of the A unless the weight and height of the design
    absolutely require it, and reducing the height of the A, or other
    capital letters, to fit marks above is not done in standard (book)
    typography, but only in e.g. telephone books, where vertical space is a
    premium and there is very little gap between lines.

    JH

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Gulf Islands, BC      tiro@tiro.com