Re: Why people still want to encode precomposed letters

From: Hans Aberg (haberg@math.su.se)
Date: Tue Nov 25 2008 - 17:12:44 CST

    On 25 Nov 2008, at 19:25, John Hudson wrote:

    > Hans Aberg wrote:
    >
    >> I choose the Caledonia from 1967 as example because it is well
    >> before any electronic typesetting. The latter may have changed
    >> things. For example, traditional typesetting principles may simply
    >> have been skipped over.
    >
    > 1967 is not 'well before any electronic typesetting' (I believe
    > that was the year that Linotype introduced the Linotron).

    The page
       http://www.linotype.com/49-14025/19631972.html?
    PHPSESSID=38e27f4a890d3d1919e23704535f8c4e
    says that although the government machine was installed in 1967, a
    company started design fonts in 1968. So it is unlikely, the design
    typeface in question was influenced by this machine.

    > In any case, it is not a period generally associated with
    > 'traditional typesetting principles': for that you need to go back
    > much further.

    So electronic typesetting influenced the design of typefaces before
    it even existed?

    > All the feedback I've heard from my Scandinavian colleagues
    > indicates that the ring should not merge with the top of the A
    > unless the weight and height of the design absolutely require it, ...

    A book from 1965, "Njals saga", same company, a song book from 1955,
    and a psalm book from 1929 all do it.

    > ...and reducing the height of the A, or other capital letters, to
    > fit marks above is not done in standard (book) typography, but only
    > in e.g. telephone books, where vertical space is a premium and
    > there is very little gap between lines.

    That seems to vary. The encyclopedia was in 8 points, but "Njals
    saga" may have larger points, and at least plenty of space between
    lines, though a difficult to measure. The song book does not do it,
    though. Probably depends on the typeface.

       Hans