Re: HKSCS supplementary examples

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Mon Dec 01 2008 - 11:44:34 CST

<http://tinyurl.com/6mlspy> is a nice example of a Cantonese one

<http://tinyurl.com/6yw4sw> is the name of a province in Vietnam
written in hanzi (and *not*, BTW, from HK SCS).

Over three hundred characters from the SIP are to be found in the
various East Asian Wikipedić: 293 in the main Chinese one, twenty-five
in the Cantonese one, eleven in the Japanese one, and six in the
Korean one. I could probably continue to cull them to find one that's
more convincing than these two.

On Nov 30, 2008, at 11:37 PM, tex wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> I will take any examples I can use as examples of must-have
> characters to justify to business people that the work to support
> supplementary characters is needed.
>
> I think pointing to names of locations on a map is a good, visual,
> justification.
>
> JIS examples will also work.
>
> I just need to make the connection between the characters and the
> need, that is understandable and is an obvious requirement.
>
> Do you have a couple examples?
> thanks
> tex
>

> =====================
>
> Do you want only HKSCS supplementaries, or also JIS supplementaries?
>
> Mark
>

> ======================
> Hi,
>
> My understanding is that some of the HKSCS characters in the
> supplementary plane are needed for addresses (street names) or
> certain individual names in HK.
>
> Can someone identify for me some street names, or for that matter
> any addresses or a current or past historic figures that make use of
> characters from the supplementary plane?
>
> In motivating (business) people to support 4-byte utf-8 or full
> utf-16, it would be helpful to have some concrete (business)
> examples to point to.
>
> It would be great to point at a map and show some locations that use/
> require supplementary characters…
> Tex

=====
John H. Jenkins