Re: HKSCS supplementary examples

From: vunzndi@vfemail.net
Date: Wed Dec 03 2008 - 22:04:05 CST

Quoting tex <textexin@xencraft.com>:

> John and John,
> Thanks very much for these examples.
> Since "na" is a future character, it doesn't make for a cogent
> argument today, but the other two are fine.

The 'na' charcter is already at stage 6 of the enocding process, which
means the codepoint can not be changed, and that is only a matter of
when, I expect some time in 2009, not if it becomes part of ISO10646.
So if you are thinking long term it is worth remebering.

> I am very frequently asked about the need for support for
> supplementary characters, and replying (for years) that they are
> needed. It is very helpful to have these real world examples to show
> people.I might create a web page so others have this info as well.
> An interesting visualization/mashup would be to take a map of the
> world with native names for locations, landmarks, etc. and relate
> them by lines or colors, to dots on the grid of unicode character
> blocks, showing the power and coverage of Unicode.

There are many other places names that are/will be non-BMP, and though
finding information on them can be difficult. Japanese place names
maybe the best document in this respect. The percentage of place name
characters in post some Ext B cjk extensions, will likely be higher
than in Extension B.

The non-BMP character are used for lots of other things than place names.

Regards
John K