Re: HKSCS supplementary examples

From: tex (textexin@xencraft.com)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2008 - 01:30:49 CST

John and John,

Thanks very much for these examples.
Since "na" is a future character, it doesn't make for a cogent argument today, but the other two are fine.

I presume the Cantonese character means "lift".

The statistics from the Wikipedia are also very helpful, thanks.
I would certainly welcome more examples, to further make the case, and to have as good examples for test data.
But I don't want to create unnecessary work for you.

I am very frequently asked about the need for support for supplementary characters, and replying (for years) that they are needed. It is very helpful to have these real world examples to show people.I might create a web page so others have this info as well.

An interesting visualization/mashup would be to take a map of the world with native names for locations, landmarks, etc. and relate them by lines or colors, to dots on the grid of unicode character blocks, showing the power and coverage of Unicode.

Many thanks
tex

In Guangxi China, the language spoken is Zhuang -

http://rauz.net/bbs/dispbbs_13_45783_25200_skin0.html

in this road sign for the character for the the first syllable of Napai in Debao county, pronounced "na" is written using a character from Extension C which is approved and will come on line with in the next update of unicode, this character will be U+2AF56.

U+2AF56 means a paddy field in Zhuang.

Those less informed written the place name 哪排 .

Regards

John Knightley

http://zh-yue.wikipedia.org/wiki/%F0%A8%8B%A2is a nice example of a Cantonese one

http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%8C%97%F0%A3%B4%93%E7%9C%81is the name of a province in Vietnam written in hanzi (and *not*, BTW, from HK SCS).

Over three hundred characters from the SIP are to be found in the various East Asian Wikipediæ: 293 in the main Chinese one, twenty-five in the Cantonese one, eleven in the Japanese one, and six in the Korean one.  I could probably continue to cull them to find one that's more convincing than these two.

On Nov 30, 2008, at 11:37 PM, tex wrote:

>  Hi Mark,
>

> I will take any examples I can use as examples of must-have characters
> to justify to business people that the work to support supplementary
> characters is needed.
>

> I think pointing to names of locations on a map is a good, visual,
> justification.
>

> JIS examples will also work.
>

> I just need to make the connection between the characters and the
> need,  that is understandable and is an obvious requirement.
>

> Do you have a couple examples?
> thanks
> tex
>

> =====================
>

> Do you want only HKSCS supplementaries, or also JIS supplementaries?
>

> Mark
>

> ======================
> Hi,
>

> My understanding is that some of the HKSCS characters in the
> supplementary plane are needed for addresses (street names) or certain
> individual names in HK.
>

> Can someone identify for me some street names, or for that matter any
> addresses or a current or past historic figures that make use of
> characters from the supplementary plane?
>

> In motivating (business) people to support 4-byte utf-8 or full
> utf-16, it would be helpful to have some concrete (business) examples
> to point to.
>

> It would be great to point at a map and show some locations that use/
> require supplementary characters… Tex

=====
John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com