Re: Emoji: Public Review December 2008

From: Christopher Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Sat Dec 20 2008 - 23:42:33 CST

Asmus Freytag wrote:

> That emoji act functionally like plain text elements the way that they
> fit into the architecture of numerous existing implementations and that
> they are interchanged - about these facts there can be no reasonable
> disagreement. Pretending otherwise does not speak from the observable
> facts, but rather appears based on prior convictions and value judgments
> of a sort, which, I believe, have no place in the development the
> Unicode Standard.

Asmus, If cell phone carriers in Nepal, Tibet and Bhutan start using the
Ashtamangala / Tashi Tarjey / Eight Auspicious Symbols on their cell
phone networks - then do these also become good candidates for encoding?
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashtamangala>

If symbols like those in the Emoji set are going to be allowed, how
about other common symbols/icons found in almost every modern GUI
computing environment? (diskette, printer, clipboard, file-folder,
paper-clip, etc.)

- Chris