Re: Emoji: Public Review December 2008

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Sun Dec 21 2008 - 00:10:39 CST

Christopher Fynn <cfynn at gmx dot net> wrote:

> If symbols like those in the Emoji set are going to be allowed, how
> about other common symbols/icons found in almost every modern GUI
> computing environment? (diskette, printer, clipboard, file-folder,
> paper-clip, etc.)

To prove that I do not oppose the encoding of the entire emoji set, only
those images that do not meet long-established criteria for encoding, I
do support the LOCK and OPEN LOCK symbols. Those are not just pictures;
they have distinct and well-understood semantic meaning ("locked" and
"unlocked" respectively) and are used within plain text to represent
these concepts, not just as decoration.

Some of the symbols Christopher mentioned might fit into this category
as well. Indeed, the emoji set includes PAPERCLIP and FLOPPY DISK and
FILE FOLDER.

I'm not expecting to see anyone come up with a similar justification for
STRIPED HEART or ROASTED SWEET POTATO or POOP.

http://www.ewellic.org