Re: Emoji: Public Review December 2008

From: Christopher Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Sun Dec 21 2008 - 01:01:55 CST

Ed Trager wrote:

> I can't believe that the Unicode Consortium is seriously considering
> encoding emoji ... how sad! Can't some other group other than the
> Unicode Consortium be responsible for emoji?

Perhaps the Unicode Consortium could re-assign an unused plane to become
the COMMERCIAL USE AREA and then auction blocks of this off to
interested bidders to assign as they please. Cell phone carriers are
after all used to bidding and paying for the parts of the broadcast
spectrum they use. The money raised could perhaps be used to finance the
SEI.

- Chris