Re: Emoji: Public Review December 2008

From: Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven (asmodai@in-nomine.org)
Date: Mon Dec 22 2008 - 00:31:25 CST

-On [20081221 15:21], Erkki I. Kolehmainen (eik@iki.fi) wrote:
>I'd be highly surprised if you've ever seen anything with this size of a
>user community get told to sod off and use a PUA.

And why not?

1) It seems focused on Japan only with a heavy cultural bias as well,
2) I think the emoji are NOT used for SMS/MMS, but rather the mail messages
Japanese phone users are used to send between phones -- so what good is it
on the world scale?
3) Given a decent consortium/standards body you could stabilize the PUA
involved, why the need for encoding it within Unicode?
4) It is not altogether a convincing argument it should be encoded within
Unicode based on Unicode's own guidelines/rules.

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
Sometimes things stare us in the face and we are too blind to see...