Re: Emoji: Public Review December 2008

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 23 2008 - 05:30:23 CST

2008/12/23 Doug Ewell <doug@ewellic.org>:

> James is right -- the ability to see private-use characters always depends
> on having the correct rendering support, including font coverage. (That
> goes for formally defined characters, too. If I found a passage in N'Ko or
> Shavian -- say, the title of a Queen song -- and pasted it into this
> message, a lot of people would see boxes or question marks.)

But you would be unlikely to see positional forms of Phags-pa vowels,
as Chris did for the emoji message. Your system will probably display
PUA text with Han ideographs or some other plausible script, so you
mighgt be unaware that there is something not quite right. Whereas
text in an obscure script for which your system does not have font
coverage will probably be displayed as boxes, alerting you to the fact
that you have a problem.

Andrew