Re: Emoji: Public Review December 2008

From: vunzndi@vfemail.net
Date: Tue Dec 23 2008 - 01:50:46 CST

Quoting "Kenneth Whistler" <kenw@sybase.com>:

>> On my system, these came through as PUA characters U+E04A U+E04B U+E049
>> U+E048
>
> ... suggesting that they originated in a SoftBank network.
>
>> which displayed as in the attached png - nothing that looks like
>> the sun, rain, a cloud or a snowman.
>
> Which I think is rather the point, in a nutshell.
>
> Game, set, match! {Insert e-7D3 TENNIS emoji here}

The correct display of PUA characters of course requires on to know
which font to use. rtf would avoid this problem. There are of course a
number of ways to solve such a problem. A single "emoji" character,
with a large number of variantion selectors (the first 256 are already
potatoe</emoji>, a unicode emoji tag similar, etc

Still the question remains are these plain text, and why other
extensively used symbols, Wingdings,.. not be treated in the same way.

John