Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: Curtis Clark (jcclark-lists@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Dec 24 2008 - 19:44:44 CST

On 2008-12-24 13:25, John Hudson wrote:
(A lot about punctuation)

Maybe I needed an emoticon with my previous post to indicate that I
wasn't being entirely facetious. In the longer span of things,
punctuation is a new invention, and it took some centuries for it to
notate grammar rather than intonation, and it is only because grammar
shapes intonation that the shift was ever made. Inasmuch as texts
existed for centuries with either no punctuation or "punctuation" that
served neither intonation nor grammar, one can make the case that modern
punctuation started out as metainformation.

I have my doubts about encoding large numbers of emoji or even
emoticons, but I'd prefer to check back in a hundred years to see how
these pictographs will evolve.