Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Sat Dec 27 2008 - 12:49:33 CST

John Hudson <john at tiro dot ca> wrote:

> Thinking about this, it strikes me that any standardised,
> telecom-defined set of emoji is unlikely to satisfy users who want to
> communicate in this way. Surely what users will want is a means to
> make and share their own emoji among contacts for whom these images
> will be meaningful -- just as they use slang, in-jokes, etc. when
> talking. That implies sending the images themselves from device to
> device, caching them and indexing them for future use.

In the survey cited by Christopher Fynn and translated by mpsuzuki, more
than 72% of users who were dissatisfied with their carrier's emoji set
said the variety of emoji was too narrow. One reasonable conclusion is
that the carriers will strive to satisfy these users by adding more
emoji, which will then have to be added to Unicode as Emoji Extended-A,
Emoji Extended-B, etc. for the same reasons of "interoperability" as the
current set.

http://www.ewellic.org