Re: Emoji: color and animation

From: Hans Aberg (haberg@math.su.se)
Date: Sun Dec 28 2008 - 14:33:38 CST

On 27 Dec 2008, at 19:01, Doug Ewell wrote:

> I believe the following questions need to be answered, possibly in
> an Annex, as part of the decision to encode emoji:
>
> 1. How to distinguish between emoji whose fundamental character
> identity involves color, such as the heart images from e-B13 through
> e-B16, using a conventional monochrome rendering system.
>
> 2. How to distinguish between emoji whose fundamental character
> identity involves animation, such as e-B09 BLACK QUESTION MARK and e-
> B0A WHITE QUESTION MARK, using a conventional non-animated rendering
> system.
>
> The solution might be to employ a shading/hatching scheme for color,
> and little cartoon-like "motion lines" for animation, as discussed
> earlier. Or it might simply be decided that these glyphs will be
> rendered identically with existing fonts and rendering engines and
> on printed pages.

Fascinating question :-). Some people may see the colors, due to color
deficiency, or by turning on a display grayscale. And the material may
be fed through some process that does not know about proper color/
animation translation procedures, just taking a black and white
snapshot.

So the ideal would be if they are designed clearly distinguishable if
taking a black and white snapshot.

   Hans