Re: Emoji survey

From: David Starner (prosfilaes@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 28 2008 - 15:02:24 CST

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 2:26 PM, <vunzndi@vfemail.net> wrote:
> My main point was the commercial nature of the emoji proposal, and that many
> scripts struggle from a lack of expertise and funding.

And my main point was that it's reality that proposals of character
sets used by groups of people with money tend to go forward, whereas
character sets without the backing of people with money tend to be
slower. The Zhaung people are not the responsibility of the Japanese
companies behind this proposal--the Chinese made that quite clear 60
years ago--and if more funding is needed, it should come from people
with responsibility for the Zhuang--that is, the People's Republic of
China, or computer companies that are selling to the Zhuang--or
philanthropic groups dedicated to giving money to such proposals. To
ask "if a fraction of the resources used on promoting the encoding
"emoji" had been used to promote Zhuang CJK characters" is silly;
those spending the resources on emoji in general had no reason to
spend them on Zhuang.