Re: Emoji survey

From: vunzndi@vfemail.net
Date: Sun Dec 28 2008 - 13:26:49 CST

Quoting "David Starner" <prosfilaes@gmail.com>:

> On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 8:12 AM, <vunzndi@vfemail.net> wrote:
>> Though
>> in the almost in the pipeline they will not become part of Unicode for about
>> ten years.
>
> Really? That's a lot longer than most other bodies of characters have
> taken. Why?

The proposal first has to go though a national approval process, this
involves a number of department and takes several years. Submission is
then to the IRG, approval here may well take 7 years, then 3 or more
years to go get through WG2 and SG2.

>> I am sure others can name other significant scripts still yet to
>> be encoded.
>
> I'm too skeptical to be settled by that. Which scripts in particular
> are we talking about?
>
>> If a
>> fraction of the resources used on promoting the encoding "emoji" had been
>> used to promote Zhuang CJK characters the situation would be very different.
>> Much the same could be say of other unencoded characters and scripts.
>
> Here in the real world said resources are not fungible; the Unicode
> Subcommittee on Symbols aren't suddenly going to be experts on Zhuang
> CJK characters. Furthermore, I suspect DoCoMo, KDDI and Softbank have
> at least provided the ear of an expert to help with encoding these. (I
> think decency should require them to become associate members, but
> whatever...) If some company had serious financial incentive to get
> the Zhuang characters encoded, or if the People's Republic of China
> suddenly decided that it was worth funding, they would get encoded.
> Barring that, if you're really interested in getting them encoded, the
> Berkeley Script Encoding Initiative is taking donations. Killing emoji
> isn't going to move one red cent in the direction of Zhuang
> characters.

My main point was the commercial nature of the emoji proposal, and
that many scripts struggle from a lack of expertise and funding. Any
objections I might have to emoji would certainly not come from any
concept that "killing emoji" would release funds else where.

I did not say there was no funding for Zhuang characters to be
encoded, there is even some from the People's Republic of China, but
the amount is small. As far as human resources are involved - I am
certain some of those involved in the symbols subcommittee do have the
expertise required for a Zhuang CJK character proposal.

The Berkeley Script Encoding Initiative doesn't actually have Zhuang
CJK characters on it's list.

Yes of course one should do more than just comment on the unicode
mailing list that Zhuang CKJV characters need encoding.

John Knightley