Re: Emoji survey

From: David Starner (prosfilaes@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Dec 27 2008 - 20:38:22 CST

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 8:12 AM, <vunzndi@vfemail.net> wrote:
> Though
> in the almost in the pipeline they will not become part of Unicode for about
> ten years.

Really? That's a lot longer than most other bodies of characters have
taken. Why?

> I am sure others can name other significant scripts still yet to
> be encoded.

I'm too skeptical to be settled by that. Which scripts in particular
are we talking about?

> If a
> fraction of the resources used on promoting the encoding "emoji" had been
> used to promote Zhuang CJK characters the situation would be very different.
> Much the same could be say of other unencoded characters and scripts.

Here in the real world said resources are not fungible; the Unicode
Subcommittee on Symbols aren't suddenly going to be experts on Zhuang
CJK characters. Furthermore, I suspect DoCoMo, KDDI and Softbank have
at least provided the ear of an expert to help with encoding these. (I
think decency should require them to become associate members, but
whatever...) If some company had serious financial incentive to get
the Zhuang characters encoded, or if the People's Republic of China
suddenly decided that it was worth funding, they would get encoded.
Barring that, if you're really interested in getting them encoded, the
Berkeley Script Encoding Initiative is taking donations. Killing emoji
isn't going to move one red cent in the direction of Zhuang
characters.