Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: vunzndi@vfemail.net
Date: Sat Jan 03 2009 - 10:18:43 CST

    Quoting "Asmus Freytag" <asmusf@ix.netcom.com>:

    > On 1/2/2009 10:00 PM, James Kass wrote:
    >> Peter Constable replied,
    >>

    >>> If text content is getting generated in (say) DoCoMo text
    >>> protocols, spreading into other content via other protocols and
    >>> then that content is getting interpreted by processes produced by
    >>> Google or Apple or whomever, than the sense in UTC (I think I can
    >>> say) is going to be that that is *public* interchange, hence
    >>> presenting a case for being representable in the UCS.
    >>>

    >> Public interchange of private characters, which happens all
    >> the time, is a good indicator that a case might be made for
    >> plain-text encoding.
    > Except for the aside, I'm in agreement. (I would instead say: "which
    > ideally shouldn't happen, except in carefully controlled, closed
    > environments")

    The exchange of PUA characters in "public" is certain something that
    happens, the requirement is that applications and processes need to be
    able to cope with this fact, not choke.

    If if extensive use of a PUA character set is grounds for encoding
    then the question is how to decide when PUA usage is sufficient for
    encoding.

    John Knightley