Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jan 04 2009 - 02:50:50 CST

    Asmus Freytag wrote,

    >> What do the real users think?
    >>
    >Don't know what this list is supposed to prove.

    I wanted to see if actual users consider the emoji to be icons.
    I saw and shared. If the results had gone the other way, I'd've
    shared that, too.

    >Nobody disputes that emoji and icon don't have overlap in meaning.
    >Merely that "emoticon", strictly defined, and "emoji" have
    >characteristics that make them distinct phenomena, and that they are
    >therefore neither equal, nor share all each others behavior and
    >implementation and use issues.

    Icon: a small, often multicolored graphic image used on
    computer screens to signify something or another. Often
    cryptic, they are used on buttons in lieu of text, even
    though many may consider actual words on buttons to be
    useful. This is called progress. By extension, an icon
    is any small, often multicolored graphic image which may
    appear in a display, regardless of whether it is on a button.
    An icon is the computer display equivalent of stylized graphic
    designs used in road signs and on automobile dashboards.
    Often proprietary and frequently idiosyncratic, some users
    like to use icons to spice up their text.

    Emoji are icons. Graphic emoticons are icons.

    Other than semantic differences between individual icons,
    icons are icons. If there were a U.S. group with a <cartoon
    of a quacking duck> icon and they called it an emoticon, and
    there were a Japanese group with a <cartoon of a quacking
    duck> icon and they called it an emoji, I would certainly
    expect them to be equal -- same treatment, same behavior,
    same issues.

    Best regards,

    James Kass