Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jan 04 2009 - 03:38:17 CST

    Christopher Fynn wrote,

    >Funny thing is the phone carriers
    >are not even using UCS on their phones.

    I'd made an earlier comment about Docomo's lack of Unicode
    support. I regret that I was mistaken. I'd make a quick
    web search which was obviously inept. This time the
    results differed.

    According to this page,
    http://openradar.appspot.com/6402446
    (looks like November 2008)
    ...Softbank uses Shift-JIS, while "NTT DoCoMo's services are
    Unicode-based".

    This page,
    http://ntt-docomo-pro.handster.com/software.php?id=612&for=NTT+DoCoMo+PRO
    ... updated in early December, says that there's new
    Unicode support in its word processor.

    This word processor does everything word processors do,
    including associating pictures with the text in rich-text
    documents. They call their word processor "TextMaker".

    Best regards,

    James Kass